Split the dsound test

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Mon May 24 07:02:07 CDT 2004

Robert Reif wrote:
[...]
> The corresponding Microsoft test takes hours to complete.

What is this 'corresponding Microsoft test'? Do you mean that this test
takes hours to complete on Windows? If that's the case it would be a
sign that the test is buggy.
In any case I don't see the point of having a test that takes that long
to complete. Who is going to listen to a single test running for hours?

 > If time
> is an issue, then the test should be split up into a quick test and
> an exhaustive test.

My patch does not reduce the scope of the test in any significant way
while still being much shorter to run.

> Also, volume and pan tests on primary and secondary buffers is
> not the same thing as 3D.  They just happen to be similar now
> because we don't support hardware acceleration yet.

Well, what I wanted is a test that only tests support for each sound
format with nothing else that would interfer with that. Testing each
known Microsoft format is very important because this is where we have
problems today (although DirectSound seems pretty broken in Wine these
days). We could split things further (format tests, volume tests,
panning tests, 3D tests) but it really did not seem necessary at this point.

--
Francois Gouget
fgouget at codeweavers.com