Help with winedbg

Eric Pouech pouech-eric at wanadoo.fr
Wed May 26 14:54:35 CDT 2004

> 1. Use Visual Studio's remote debugging
never tried it, cannot help you here
> 2. Use winedbg as a gdb backend for ddd
>
> Option 1 fails miserably. I suspect the project is just too complex for
> Visual Studio to handle over the wire. When I try to do that, the Visual
> Studio front end (the one running on a Windows machine) crashes. This
> leaves me with just option 2.
>
> When I try to run it like that (winedbg --gdb --no-start), winedbg
> starts ok. When I hook ddd to it, however, winedbg complains about a
> missing source file (one that is not in the Windows source, btw). In the
> mean while, ddd claims to time out on the connection, and closes down.
(the latest wine misses the debug information for the .spec.c files, and
that's were main is... could you print the name of the file and the
exact error message)

did you try the same without ddd ?
1/ run on one xterm winedbg --gdb --no-start <your pgm>
2/ in a second xterm, start gdb, and at the gdb prompt enter the 'target
remote...' line output from winedbg at step 1

if it fails too, then ddd will also fail. (btw did a bare winedbg --gdb
<your pgm> work ?)

A+