Default to 96dpi for the no config file case

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Fri May 28 07:59:02 CDT 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004 11:11:32 +0200, Rein Klazes wrote:
> Why do you mean (wrong) ? Do you not get the dpi values used by X? Or is
> it that is uses the X values but those are wrong?

Well, I talked a bit with Huw about this so apologies to him if I mangled
what he said, but ... it seems that the functions we use to get the size
of the screen don't always return correct values. I don't know why.

> Here X gets it from the monitor at start-up (via the logic of the video
> card). I did not realize that my situation is not normal.

If you mean via DDC then I guess this should work in most places, but for
whatever reason it does not work here :( In particular, xdpyinfo says:

screen #0:
  dimensions:    1024x768 pixels (321x241 millimeters)
  resolution:    81x81 dots per inch

So it appears to know the screen size (I measured with a ruler and
321x241 is right), but it gets the DPI too small anyway. At 81 dpi the
text is hardly readable.

> I agree with you that 95 dpi is about the minimum that is being used
> today. But I would keep this the minimum: if the dpi is set bigger then
> it is probably intentional. Either monitor magic or from a careful
> system administration.

Yep, this only affects the default when nothing is specified in the config
file (in fact in the default config file this was always specified anyway
so this is just restoring the old behaviour in the absence of he config
file really).

thanks -mike