Default to 96dpi for the no config file case

Rein Klazes rklazes at xs4all.nl
Fri May 28 08:54:29 CDT 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004 13:59:02 +0100, you wrote:

> If you mean via DDC then I guess this should work in most places,

Yes, I can find the size here back in the /var/log/XFree86.log, similar
to what xdpyinfo reports.

> but for
> whatever reason it does not work here :( In particular, xdpyinfo says:
>
> screen #0:
>   dimensions:    1024x768 pixels (321x241 millimeters)
>   resolution:    81x81 dots per inch
>
> So it appears to know the screen size (I measured with a ruler and
> 321x241 is right), but it gets the DPI too small anyway. At 81 dpi the
> text is hardly readable.

Sorry, I believe you that your font is too small too read, but dpi means
nothing else then dots-per-inch. And you have:

1024 dots per 321/25.4=12.6 inches which is 81.0 dpi.

Are you watching a font with a known size? Try selecting same font and
size in eg gnome-terminal. The sizes should be the same.

Rein.
--
Rein Klazes
rklazes at xs4all.nl