wine/ loader/main.c loader/glibc.c loader/Make ...

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Fri May 28 16:59:48 CDT 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004 15:59:23 -0500, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Log message:
> 	Initial version of the Wine preloader, used to reserve memory
> 	areas at startup. Based on the work of Mike McCormack.

For those who haven't been following the execshield/prelink saga, this
commit is the result of the various prototypes and patches that were
posted to wine-devel since we got back from WineConf.

The result of it should be that we no longer need to switch off execshield
nor prelink in order to run Wine reliably, also the huge BSS array
hack is also no longer needed. Binaries of every size should work.

Combined with the patch Alexandre checked in a few days ago to do an
iterative binary search of the upper 2gig of address space, we should now
also be functional when the 4G/4G VM split is enabled.

It could use some testing! Please update to latest CVS and run wine as you
would normally. If you are on a prelink/execshield enabled system, make
sure they are both switched on and that prelink is using exec-shield mode
(should be by default).

If you observe any odd breakage please let us know.

keep on truckin' -mike