Request for winetesting volunteers

Chris Morgan cmorgan at alum.wpi.edu
Fri May 28 22:59:28 CDT 2004

Thanks to Brian Vincent, Paul Millar, Dimi Paun, Ferenc Wagner and Kevin
Koltzau the automated winetest suite is ready for more widespread testing.

Kevin and Paul build winetests each night if there were cvs commits since the
last time the tests were built.  The winetests are published to a script on
winehq that Brian and Dimi wrote.  The winrash service that I wrote sends its
current state to the service and receives a script to process that may direct
it to check in later, download a winetest and run it or upgrade itself.
Thanks to Ferenc the winetest results are sent back to winehq and can be
accessed via http://test.winehq.org/data/  Pretty formatting of the results
is coming soon ;-)

We need volunteers that are willing to particpate in the winetesting process
by running the winrash service on their computers. The winrash installer can
be downloaded from:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/winrash/winrash-0007-chris-msvc.exe?download

You can find out more about winrash at http://winrash.sf.net

The installer will install winrash as a service and run Wine tests as
required.  It is IMPORTANT that you set the client id correctly.  Please use
your first and last name WITHOUT spaces, like JohnSmith.  Using the default
client id will cause your winetest results to be ignored.

The service is smart enough to autoupgrade as new versions are released.  To
uninstall just go to the Add/Remove programs and click 'remove' as you do for
many windows programs.  There is the ability to restrict the times when
winrash runs winetests but this requires manually adding some keys to the
registry.  I haven't finished testing this feature but if someone wants it I
can see about getting it polished up and in a release early this coming week.

We currently need testers for the whole range of windows versions,
win95/98/me, nt3/4, win2k, xp and 2003.

Please reply if you want to help out so that we know what kind of coverage
we can expect. The more the merrier, so please sign up even if others have
done so for your version of Windows.

Chris