Fix for metafile test

Jakob Eriksson jakov at vmlinux.org
Wed Nov 3 07:21:59 CST 2004

Ferenc Wagner wrote:

>Jakob Eriksson <jakob at vmlinux.org> writes:
>

>>Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>>>Then we need either instruct people to not run the tests from
>>>the service or completely remove that possibility altogether.
>>>

>>Or check the option to "allow service to interact with desktop".
>>

>Is that a service option or what?  I don't really know
>anything about Windows services.  If you can fix this issue
>in winrash please do so.

You can allow any service in the (Control Panel -> Services) services
list to interact with the desktop. Some need it, some don't.
But if we enable it by default for winrash, then people will see the
test windows, get their explorer.exe restarted and so on a daily basis.
Just like it happens on Win9x.
Maybe a detterent to NT-based testers, I know I would be a bit annoyed
if that happened to my workstation.

>>But I'd rather see that as many tests as possible can be
>>run from the service as is.  There are many APIs out there
>>which do not use a desktop and if we loose the winrash
>>testers we lose maybe 90% of the test reports.
>>

>I really wonder what share of the reports come from winrash
>instances, but I don't think you underestimate it.  Removing
>this possibility would hardly buy anything for us, but a
>flag similar to bRunningUnderWine could be added indeed.
>Just patch it into winetest or send me some code and I will
>do the gruntwork.

I'll look into it...
I think it will have to be a winrash install option. Or just educate people
to "allow winrash service to interact with desktop". I'll try it on my
Win2k,
id JakobErikssonBW, to see if the tests run any differently.

Anyway,
what I really meant was that it would be beneficial if the wine regression
tests didn't fail, but quitted silently if they ran without a desktop.
That way
at least all the non desktop APIs would get tested, without cluttering the
web report with errors.

regards,
Jakob