Public domain source in wine

Michael Jung mjung at iss.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Nov 4 06:39:34 CST 2004

Hello,

I would like to use source code from LibTomCrypt (http://libtomcrypt.org) in
my implementation of rsaenh.dll (which I still hope has a remote chance of
being accepted into wine ;-), in order to get rid of the OpenSSL
dependencies. LibTomCrypt is in the public domain. I have two questions:

1. What is the legaly correct way to do this? As I understand it, public
domain source can simply be taken as is and re-licensed under the LGPL. Is
this correct? Am I allowed to remove the headers in the original file, which
state that the code is public domain? How do you generally acknowledge the
original author?

2. A more technical question: LibTomCrypt's original sources are highly
customizable (A lot of conditional compilation and hook-functions). Since we
have fairly special requirements for rsaenh, I could cut down the source code
a lot. However, this would make it harder to incorporate code from a newer
version of libtomcrypt, once it becomes available. Which way is preferable?
Having less code or beeing easily upgradeable?

Greetings,
Michael