Countering arguments against Wine

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Sat Nov 6 16:42:23 CST 2004

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 16:15:53 -0600, Ryan Underwood wrote:
> One could just offer a script that toggles the version of Wine being
> used.  Click on the script, dialog box pops up "Windows programs will
> now be launched using Wine[X]", and maybe some more information
> regarding the suitability for games vs applications.  On a Debian
> system, this would be handled through the alternatives system; the
> script just cycles through the available alternatives picking the next
> one each time it is invoked.  On other systems, you can use /proc to
> modify the executable being used to launch anything with a PE header.

It's slightly less pragmatic but the real solution is for WineHQ Wine to
be good at everything ;)

The CrossOver secret sauce is mostly the fact that we put together
controlled, stabilised [binary] packages and because we collectively write
so much code, we understand how to get the best out of it. That's really
what it boils down to. There's no reason regular Wine can't be like that
too, one day.

As for Cedega/WineX - well, they have a big lead in gaming, but I'd like
to think that one day Wine will be the swiss-army knife of Windows
emulation. Regular Wine does have DX support, we should work on that
rather than be distracted by a pseudo-proprietary fork.

thanks -mike