150 test failures. advapi32 test crashes.

Michael Jung mjung at iss.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Nov 8 08:00:49 CST 2004

On Monday 08 November 2004 13:41, you wrote:
> Michael Jung wrote:
> > I fear that the problems with crypt.c and the crash are related to
> > rsaenh.dll, which is pretty new in wine cvs. I can't reconstruct the test
> > failures on my system. There are some entries in the initial registry,
> > which did change due to rsaenh.dll. Could please retry without an
> > existent .wine directory?
>
> Done.  (I even rebooted with nosmp.)  That seems to have helped the crypt
> test; now I just get
>
> ../../../../wine/tools/runtest -q -P wine -M rsaenh.dll -T ../../.. -p
> rsaenh_test.exe.so ../../../../wine/dlls/rsaenh/tests/rsaenh.c && touch
> rsaenh.ok fixme:crypt:CRYPT_VerifyImage (rsaenh.dll, 0x40200f90): not
> verifying image fixme:crypt:CRYPT_VerifyImage (rsaenh.dll, 0x40200fb0): not
> verifying image fixme:crypt:CRYPT_VerifyImage (rsaenh.dll, 0x40202598): not
> verifying image
>
> which is benign, right?

Yes, it is. I would even opt for removing this fixme (or changing it to a
trace) and let the VerifyImage function always return TRUE. Implementing it
in a sensible way would be a large effort, which would not buy us any
additional functionality. This function was meant to provide two things:
1.) Enforcing US export regulations, which we should not care about (see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/seccrypto/security/microsoft_policy_for_signing_csps.asp).
2.) Preventing tampering with CSP dlls, which has long been by-passed (it
seems to be possible to exchange the unused NSAKEY in the binary advapi32.dll
- and if you don't have write access to advapi32.dll you probably don't have
write access to rsaenh.dll also).

Greetings,
Michael