Toolbar: Cleanup Patch

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Fri Nov 12 20:18:20 CST 2004

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 01:04:21PM -0600, Robert Shearman wrote:
> Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 11:27:44AM -0600, Robert Shearman wrote:
> >

> >>Changelog:
> >>- bNtfUnicode is a dup' of bUnicode so remove it and fix the few places
> >>where it was used.
> >>

> >bUnicode is a bad name for this flag, bNtfUnicode would be better,
> >as bUnicode is sometimes use to denote how the text is stored in
> >the control, which is different from how notifications should be
> >sent.
> >

> What does the "Ntf" part of it mean? It is not immediately obvious.

I agree. I think that having a notifyFormat as in listview is the
best way. We then use the standard constants, can be easily greped
for, etc.

> However, I will submit a change in a later patch that clarifies the
> comment for the bUnicode flag.

If we need a comment, the naming is probably wrong. You'd have to
agree that there are a few independent Unicode things in a control,
we should be a bit more explicit which one we mean. I've seen enough
of this control code where people get confused and use interchangeably
things with different meanings. Which results in a mess that's hard
to fix, hard to detect, and hard to correct.

Mind you, I don't ask that you do the work. But I'd personally like to
see a bit more uniformity in naming conventions and the like across
all controls, and if we are to change the naming, we should do it
once and in the right direction.

[Sorry, for the late answer BTW, it's been to crazy for words... :)]

--
Dimi.