KERNEL32: add a test case for CompareStringW undocumented flag 0x10000000

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Mon Nov 22 05:57:44 CST 2004

Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
>
>> "Mike McCormack" <mike at codeweavers.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The flag (0x10000000) passed to CompareString reverse the sort order
>>> of a number of unicode characters.  I've got no idea why it would
>>> want to do that... maybe somebody can shed some light on what the
>>> reason behind this would be?

Attached is a small test case that demonstrates a problem in Wine's
compare string. Explanation:
The word "Mohammad" is spelled in Arabic Meem, Hah, Meem, Shadda, Dal.
The Shadda's purpose is to double the pronunciation of the preceding
letter, which is the reason it's written with a double M in English. The
attached program uses "CompareStringW" to compare the proper spelling of
"Mohammad" to three variations. One is the version without the Shadda at
all (as Mohammad is usually spelled by modern Arabic writers), one is
Mohammad with the Meem explicitly doubled, and one is the same as the
last one, where the second Meem is replaced with the preceding letter
(Lam). They are noted as "mohamad", "mohammad" and "mohamlad"
respectively. The one with proper spelling is noted as "moham_ad".

moham_ad is compared against all three with no flags, with the
"NORM_IGNORENONSPACE" flag, and with our unidentified flag. The program
was run on Windows 2000 and on Wine.

On W2K, moham_ad is sorted between mohamlad and mohammad. If
IGNORENONSPACE is used, it is exactly equal to mohammad. One wine,
moham_ad is less than all three. This means we have a bug in Wine.

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.