Packaging Questions, New Debian Package, Packagers Guide

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at
Tue Nov 23 05:25:13 CST 2004

Scott Ritchie wrote:

>However, I'm not sure if this means the wine binary package should
>depend on them, since it's compiled in.  So, should I make libicu28 a
>dependancy for wine?
ICU is compiled statically. There is no runtime dependency on libicu. It
is an exception, however.

The general rule should be that the optional packages are build-dep, but
only "suggested" or "Recommended" (I've never really managed to
understand the difference between them) for the compiled result.

Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.