Packaging Questions, New Debian Package, Packagers Guide

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Nov 23 12:14:00 CST 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Mike Hearn wrote:
[...]
> Cool! While you're at it could you please combine them altogether so the
> packaging matches the upstream sources? Last time I checked the Debian
> packages were split into tons of little packages which is wrong and led to
> strange breakages. Just one package with everything installed by "make
> install" in the sources would be great.

Having lots of packages is the Debian way. So I see nothing wrong with
having wine, libwine, libwine-dev, wine-doc, libwine-alsa, libwine-arts,
libwine-capi, libwine-cil, libwine-jack, libwine-nas, libwine-twain.

To those surprised by the -(alsa,arts,...) packages, this matches the
xmms-(alsa,arts,...) packages. So there's nothing exceptional here.

I'm not sure about libwine-print. It pretty much only contains
wineps.dll. I guess this is partly because of the CUPS dependency.

Also the wine-util package contains tools that I think belong to
libwine-dev, especially winedbg, winedump and winemaker.

     I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape around here somewhere...