SHBrowseForFolder

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Tue Nov 23 13:31:05 CST 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:24:28 +0100, Robert van Herk wrote:
> I am trying to implement the Browse button in the winecfg application,
> that would allow people to browse for a directory to use as their
> virtual c drive.

Cool! Go for it!

> Then, at compile time I get:
>                driveui.c:589: warning: undefined reference to
> `SHBrowseForFolderA'

At the bottom of the MSDN page you can see it says you need shell32.dll,
so try adding -lshell32 to the link line in the Makefile.in  (remember to
rerun config.status) and try again.

Here are some more winecfg todos for everybody to take a crack at now my
last patch got checked in:

* The drive detection algorithm needs some polishing. It mapped my
  /boot directory on FC3 even though that's useless. Maybe we need
  a blacklist?  [easy]

* We should also ensure the home directory is mapped in the same way
  that we ensure / and c:\windows is mapped.  [easy]

* Integrate drive detection with wineprefixcreate. The code nearly
  supports this and was designed with that in mind, check out the
  different ways errors are presented from the CLI and GUI. You just
  need to add a command line switch to the program that runs the
  autodetect_drives() function.   [not too hard]

* There's some weird clipping/painting corruption in the advanced view
  of the drives page. It looks like a WM rewrite regression so I asked
  Alexandre to check it out but if you're up for a challenge feel free to
  try and beat him to it!    [marine level hardness!]

* Unicodify it, at the moment it uses some ANSI APIs and such
  [intermediate]

* Usability review   [intermediate]

.... and of course, the big cheese ....

* Write the migration code to pull the users current config across to the
  new registry branch so we can actually start thinking about switching
  the config file off once and for all. Bonus points for adding an
  explanation of what happened to the old config file itself!

  [easy in theory, might be hard getting it good enough to get past
   Alexandre!]

thanks -mike