Winecfg -> browse for folder

Robert van Herk robert at robertvanherk.nl
Wed Nov 24 05:45:20 CST 2004

Hi,

>>Is Z:\ always mapped to the root of the unix file system? Because that
>>would seem to solve it: just let them choose a directory from Z:\ and
>>then probably modify the returned string by removing Z: and replacing
>>all /'s bij \'s.
>>

>Hopefully it isn't: you may not always want to expose the full directory
>tree to dear little John Rogue Windows program, not even in (by default)
>mostly read-only access...
>
>IOW, there should be a mechanism which allows to establish a temporary
>root mapping during winecfg configuration only.
>However this would require some explanation for the user, since it's not
>entirely obvious why a drive mapping that existed during configuration won't
>exist later on.

I don't know how virtual windows drives are mounted at this moment, but
I guess it is something that the winecfg applet cannot do...

Is it possible (as in: not too dangerous) to make a special API that
does not exist in Windows, but then does exist in Wine, that would allow
a program to mount the full Unix tree read only, such that only Wine
programs can do that?

Because I really need to get the unix directory tree in one way or the
other. Also, it would probably be nice to show the paths unix style
here, with forward slashes and / as the root, so that the user is aware
that he is picking a Unix directory instead of a virtual windows one.

Ofcourse, another solution would be to make a Unix server that
communicates with winecfg and tells it how the Unix directory structure
is, but that would be overkill I guess :-).

Greetings,
Robert