Packaging Questions, New Debian Package, Packagers Guide

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Nov 24 06:00:04 CST 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> Marcus Meissner wrote:
>
>> Here is a list of the soft dependencies. We suggest packagers
>> install each and every last of those before building the package. These
>> libraries are not dependencies in the RPM sense. In DEB packages, they
>> should appear as "Suggests" or "Recommends", as the case may be.
>>
> ICU
>   Adds support for BiDi to Wine. http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/.
> Instructions for building (and testing) with BiDi are available at
> http://winehq.org/?issue=218#How%20To%20Set%20Up%20BiDi%20Support

The problem with ICU is that, iirc, it introduces a dependency on
libstdc++, and, afaik, libstdc++ binary compatiblity is broken quite
often.

This is probably not an issue for the Debian packages which we can
expect to be rebuilt whenever a libstdc++ becomes the Debian standard.
But it's a problem if one wants to build a somewhat generic RPM package
that can be installed on anything from RedHat 8 to Fedora Core 3, or on
RedHat, Mandrake and SUSE.

So if the Package Maintainer's guide recommends building with ICU, it
should also mention this issue.

   Any sufficiently advanced Operating System is indistinguishable from Linux