Adding debuginfo Support to Wine Makefiles

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Wed Nov 24 12:23:37 CST 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:24:01 -0600, Robert Shearman wrote:
> I want to add support generating .debug files that are linked from .so
> files so that we can have one set of binaries, no matter whether a
> person is a developer or end-user and yet have no additional disk space
> or bandwidth costs.

Cool. Though this does mean yet more packages on the web page.

Also this only works with gdb, no? And currently unless something truly
terrible happens Wine will never core dump, it'll trap the exception and
launch winedbg which I think does not support .gnu_debuglink

Is the plan to add support for that to winedbg?

> This is really just a RFC about changes I've made to the DLL makefiles,
> before I start copying and pasting them to the other areas. Am I on the
> right lines here? Do I need to add a configure check for objcopy? Do I
> need a configure check for the --add-gnu-debuglink option?

Yes, this is a very recent feature only available in new toolchains. It
only recently started stabilising too so it'd be nice if there was a way
to disable it.

thanks -mike