audio driver autodetection

Eric Pouech pouech-eric at wanadoo.fr
Fri Oct 1 16:24:13 CDT 2004

James Hawkins a écrit :
> I want to make sure I'm getting the right idea.  So I would implement
> a new audio driver like winealsa, wineoss etc but named something like
> wineautodetect.
yes (I'd rather put a ref to sound or MM in the driver name)

> This driver is actually a proxy that checks each of
> the available drivers to see if they are available, and if so,
> initialize that driver and send all audio messages to the it.
yes. Note that you cannot use WaveOutOpen (for example) for opening the
driver, but LoadDriver (as winmm does).
> Would
> the registry value for audio driver be wineautodetect instead of
> winealsa, wineoss etc?
yes
> If this is how it is to be implemented,
> nothing in winmm would have to be changed would it?
correct
> That's what I'm
> thinking.  Are alsa, oss, arts etc the wave out part of winmm?
they are more than that. they also implement wave in, midi, mixer type
of interface... You need to proxy all of that.

A+