RFC re winmm/time.c

Eric Pouech pouech-eric at wanadoo.fr
Sun Oct 10 14:03:30 CDT 2004

Jeremy White a écrit :
> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks for responding.
>
>>  From an implementation point of view, there's something wrong with
>> it. The time returned from TIME_MMSysTimeCallback (time to wait for
>> next timer to elapse) only takes into account the timers which existed
>> when the function is entered, not the ones which could have been
>> created or deleted while processing the callbacks.
>

> I think this is safe; the wakeup event would be signalled if any events
> were added while we were in this function, so we should immediately
> return to that function.
yup. I mixed up the fact that you didn't set the event when destroying a
timer, but that shouldn't hurt too much. In the worst case, you'll
reenter the loop to recompute the correct value.
As rereading the patch, for one-shot timer, you could set the
delta_value to INFINITE (since they are destroyed when they expire).
In terms of other optimization, you can remove the call to
TIME_MMTimeStart in most of the places, except for a timer creation. The
other places rely on it to get WINMM_SysTimeMS updated, but since you
killed it...

>> Another point, with your proposal, we could use the fact that the
>> global time no longer needs to be maintained, hence the worker thread
>> can be destroyed when no more timers exist.
>

> I hadn't considered that; I had thought that having the thread
> sleeping for INFINITE was a pretty nice improvement, but your
> proposal is arguably even better.
I'd mainly like to get rid of the poor anti-race scheme that's
implemented (we can do better than that).

 > The only case where it would
> be a poor choice is a situation where events are being created
> and destroyed continually.
and it's application dependent :-(

> But maybe we should start with this patch (and deal with the bugs
> it introduces <grin>), and I can mark a FIXME to make
> that improvement in the future.
sure
A+