window caption buttons

William Poetra Yoga Hadisoesen williampoetra at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 10:31:37 CDT 2004

--- Andreas Mohr <andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 09:56:30AM -0700, William Poetra Yoga Hadisoesen
> wrote:
> > This is related to my last post. The buttons wine draw actually have wrong
> > borders, like for example a normal window has this close button:
> That could be rather deliberate, since I'd say we're not really out to
> do a blatant "boring" copy of Microsoft's work...
> (while it's obvious that we are often forced to follow in Microsoft's
> footsteps in this project in order to get Windows programs to run at all,
> it's not as if we ALWAYS want to do that exactly - and sometimes there are
> even better ways to implement something...)
>
> If it really makes a functional difference, then I guess it should be fixed,
> otherwise why not leave it as is?
>
> Andreas Mohr

Well, WINE is supposed to provide a Win32-compatible API, IMO. At least it
looks right if we fix it. This does have some positive impacts on the
development of WINE, such as:
1. Developers coming from Windows can have the same "look and feel". This
increases their productivity, although indirectly. When people see something
different but similar to the one they see everyday, their attention will be
divided to the new object and the work they are doing. And their motivation to
work will decrease, too, if the GUI doesn't get fixed.
2. Windows users looking at WINE will reject it straight away, because it
doesn't look like a "professionaly-made" software, and maybe mocking it as a
carelessly written software, with sloppy GUI. Remember, some users become
developers.