Rename Wine User Guide to Wine User's Guide?

Peter Riocreux par+wine_devel at silistix.com
Thu Oct 14 10:22:10 CDT 2004

Kuba Ober <kuba at mareimbrium.org> writes:

> On niedziela 10 październik 2004 02:04 pm, Marcus Meissner wrote:

>> > Go for it.
>>
>> What about the cruelty to the common apostroph? I am not a native speaker,
>> but it looks wrong there.
>
> Actually, the apostrophe looks quite right there. Whose guide is it? The
> user's. Then one has user's guide, not user guide. User guide sounds like a
> u-channel where you'd shove users in order to keep them guided ;)

I have always operated on the principle that if two people can argue
about it then it should be written a different way, so how about one of:

Guide for Wine Users
Guide to Using Wine
Wine: a guide for Users
Using Wine

No apostrophes, grocer's or otherwise.

Peter

PS: I thought it out to have been "Wine Users' Guide" as it belongs to
users in the plural rather than a particular user, iff ownership does
not accrue to the author ....