Rename Wine User Guide to Wine User's Guide?

Paul Millar paulm at astro.gla.ac.uk
Thu Oct 14 13:11:59 CDT 2004

Hi all,

On Thursday 14 October 2004 16:00, Kuba Ober wrote:
> On niedziela 10 październik 2004 02:04 pm, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> >
> > What about the cruelty to the common apostroph? I am not a native speaker,
> > but it looks wrong there.
>
> Actually, the apostrophe looks quite right there. Whose guide is it? The
> user's. Then one has user's guide, not user guide. User guide sounds like a
> u-channel where you'd shove users in order to keep them guided ;)

If wine had only a single user then "Wine User's Guide" would be correct; but,
as we hope wine has multiple users then "Wine Users' Guide" is correct.

(general rule is: if the possessing object doesn't end with s, add 's.  If it
does, then add just the apostrophe.  For example: if Simons owns a ball,
which is red, then Simons' ball is red.)

Cheers,

Paul.

PS.
Have a wee goosie at http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors