CoCreateInstance now fails on msxml4.dll

Bill Medland billmedland at mercuryspeed.com
Fri Oct 15 14:59:49 CDT 2004

Any ideas on this?

(The problem has become apparent since 20040914 but was probably lurking
before)

Working with a current Wine environment (as of yesterday); fresh .wine created
and the DllOverride added to call native ole32

If you run regsvr32 /s msxml4.dll it registers itself as at
%SystemRoot%\system\msxml4.dll
(As of 20040914 it would register itself as at c:\windows\system\msxml4.dll)

If you try to CoCreateInstance (... a class in msxml4.dll e.g.
SAXXMLReader40...) then it now fails.
(It succeeds under the builtin ole32)

I have run a +relay trace.
Between the call to RegQueryKey that gets the path, complete with
%SystemRoot%, and the call to LoadLibraryEx (called with %SystemRoot%) there
is no apparent attempt to call a function to expand the string (and in
particular it does not call ExpandEnvironmentString)
I've even looked at all the calls between the start of the CoCreateInstance
and the LoadLibrary and I don't see anything obviously problematic
I will look at the full trace but I'm not hopefull of spotting what earlier
call resulted in ole32 not trying to expand the string.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to investigate further?

--
Bill Medland
mailto:billmedland at mercuryspeed.com
http://webhome.idirect.com/~kbmed