Server: Create and Use New mem_free Function

Alexandre Julliard julliard at
Mon Oct 18 19:16:53 CDT 2004

Robert Shearman <rob at> writes:

> We have our own mem_alloc memory allocator, so this patch adds the a
> new free function, mem_free, and replaces instances of free with
> mem_free. At the moment, the implementation completely defers to the
> libc free function, but it makes sense to have this new function so
> that we can easily change memory allocators. The patch also changes a
> few instances of malloc to mem_alloc.

You cannot do that, mem_alloc sets the error code but malloc doesn't,
they are not the same thing. The purpose of mem_alloc is to simplify
handling of allocation failures in common cases, it's not a general
replacement for malloc. If you really want to change the memory
allocator you can redefine malloc and free, but I'm not sure why you'd
want to do that.

Alexandre Julliard
julliard at