[dx9-12] Major change to desgin

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Fri Oct 22 17:06:41 CDT 2004

"Ann and Jason Edmeades" <us at the-edmeades.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Well I have an interface, it just doesnt extend IUnknown. Aside from that it
> is identical to any other com interface - I dont want to export all the
> functions provided. Is it 100% required to extend IUnknown (and would this
> mechanism not be equivalent to creating my own :-) )?

No, you really should extend IUnknown, it's going to be massively
confusing otherwise.

> I really dont want reference counting on the objects either as it needs to
> be forced that the reference counting is done on the IDirect3D* versions. I
> ran out of ideas, and just dropped IUnknown!

Please do proper reference counting, it doesn't cost anything, and
someday we might need it. If you can't use standard ref counting it
probably means you are doing something wrong.

> I would be happy with IUnknown *, but cant see any way to use my own type
> other than a straight typedef to either void * or IUnknown. The problem is
> wined3d needs to deal with both d3d8 and d3d9 interfaces and cannot #include
> both d3d8 and d3d9 header files due to conflicts. We must store a pointer
> which can go from the IWineD3D<interface> object to the
> IDirect3D<interface>Object.

You don't have to include any of the headers, that's the whole point
of interfaces. Just have wined3d export an IWineD3DUser interface and
have both d3d8 and d3d9 implement it. wined3d doesn't have to know
anything about the implementation, just like d3d8 and d3d9 don't have
to know anything about the implementation of IWineD3D.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org