unaligned access bug in winspool on sparc

Juan Lang juan_lang at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 22:48:06 CDT 2004

> I just ran across an evil little bug in the
> WINSPOOL_GetPrinter_2 function.  It looks like this
> type of bug could be hiding in other API functions
> too.  It causes a segmentation fault because of an
> unaligned access on Solaris (sparc).

Yikes.  That's a bad one.  The trouble is MS loves
this sort of return value.  Even if the dll itself
doesn't dereference an unaligned pointer, the caller
might depending on how things are layed out.  The
trouble is i386 allows unaligned memory access, so we
don't see this sort of thing.

If you happen to know how MS handles alignment on
platforms that require it, we might be able to fix it.
 Otherwise it'll have to be case-by-case I'm afraid.

--Juan