d3drs_multisampleantialias: check for it?

Raphael fenix at club-internet.fr
Sun Oct 24 17:40:49 CDT 2004

On Saturday 23 October 2004 12:30, Devils Cry wrote:
> Hi again... :/ ^^

Hi

> So im now moving for the multisampleantialias call...

Good news :)

> ive found the
> gl_multisample_arb function to be matching, so far, so good. Now while
> googling for it i only found code examples which check whether
> multisampling is supported before it is activated. My question: do i
> need this?

Yes, you can see all caps detection code on directx.c
and you must use GL_SUPPORT and GL_EXTCALL macros (see wined3d_gl.h/d3dcore_gl.h and wined3d_private.h/d3d8_private.h)
to be sure to work on olders cards (ie without multisample support)

> I found no other call in the d3d8lib which asks for its
> extension the way i found it

Yes, we haven't multisample support on d3d8 yet.
It should be easy to do :)

> (http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=46).

No WGL extensions are Windows specific.
Use GLX/GL equiv extensions (GL_ARB_multisample/GLX_ARB_multisample) for that.

> Theres also another problem: the multisampling has to be turned off after its done,
> turned on again if something is drawn and after this turned off again
> (at least i understood it that way...). Is it enough to simply turn it
> on? And if not, how should i do this???

You have to enable multisupport when User want to use it (ie CreateDevice, SetRenderState, ...)
And you must deactive it at device destruction

> Thx in advance
> Nikolas

Regards,
Raphael