Juan Lang juan_lang at
Wed Oct 27 18:14:53 CDT 2004

--- Alexandre Julliard <julliard at> wrote:
> That's why /dev/urandom is a better choice. The randomness is good
> enough for the vast majority of uses, and it doesn't block the process
> for no good reason. /dev/random should be used only when we
> specifically know that anything less than highest randomness is
> unacceptable.

I would complain further because there's no obvious way for an application
to request "highest randomness", but I see that the pbBuffer argument to
CryptGenRandom and CPGenRandom is in in/out parameter and is supposed to
be used as a seed.  I don't have a good suggestion on how to mix it in,

Do you Yahoo!?