[ck] Re: Threading issues? [[email protected]: ck Digest, Vol 3, Issue 16]

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com
Thu Sep 2 09:32:07 CDT 2004

> I wouldn't trust it. An app just misbehaving can trash important parts
> of your filesystem. Suid root is just a bad idea, windows being linux
> aware or not. Just for mild amusement I think someone being funky got a
> windows virus to work under wine if I recall correctly.

Sure. Don't have to be funky - I've got Bagel from an infected Windows
drive before just by running a program I had installed there.

rm ~/.wine -rf cleaned it up. I dunno if it was actually able to relay
spam, or whatever it was designed to do, but it launched itself from an
infected binary OK, dumped a copy of itself in c:\windows\system and
then sat in the background. Thing is, it wouldn't have done anything
different if I was running as root.

Anyway, interesting as this is, if we can't or shouldn't renice apps to
a higher priority then we're back at square one. Are there any
recommended ways of debugging scheduling problems Con, any tools we can
use, or is it all down to guesswork and printf() timings?