Possible fun project/todo list item?

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com
Thu Sep 2 09:38:19 CDT 2004

> A better solution is to use the Mozilla Network Security Services
> (NSS). NSS is everywhere mozilla is and is much more mature.

Yes, that's another approach. Gaim did this though and then implemented
support for GnuTLS as well, because having a chat program depend on a
web browser was a bit odd and people were prone to go "Ooh look, a new
Mozilla is out! rpm -e mozilla, tar xzvf mozilla-1.7.tar.gz" and such,
and then their IM client mysteriously no longer connects to MSN.

I think it's better to depend on an actual library, as opposed to a
component of another application. Maybe if Mozilla split it out into a
separate project with separate releases, packaging etc, it might be
better. Maybe they already have ...