Scrollbars and scrollwheel: -fomit-frame-pointer problems

Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò dgp85 at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 3 04:08:54 CDT 2004

Mike Hearn wrote:
> Using this switch is almost always a bad idea, as it makes getting
> backtraces impossible. OK, without debug symbols, they are of only
> limited usefulness but I've still been able to track down problems
> before using a stripped backtrace.
I build quite everything in Gentoo with -fomit-frame-pointer, but I haven
had so many problems, sometimes a build process fails, and many ebuilds
filter that flag (wine's doesn't anyway), but I never saw a problem like
that of a build process correct and then an internal problem.

> If you are right and this is causing misbuilds, perhaps we should have a
> check in the configure script for over-agressive optimization. Alexandre?
I have resolved my problems removing that flag, however I can't be sure for
Nguyen Tuan Anh with Mandrake 10 because I don't have one and I don't know
if the Mandrake's flags are similar to the one Acke Carlsson sent me from
Mandrake 9.2 (but I think so). In this case that binaries are built with
-fomit-frame-pointer and the teory of Rein Klazes is right, the problems
are in Mandrake Binaries and by-hand compiled versions with
-fomit-frame-pointer flag (like mine).

Regards,
--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò