Possible fun project/todo list item?

michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com
Fri Sep 3 19:42:37 CDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 07:25:52AM -0700, Steven Edwards wrote:
> Hi,
>
> --- Mike Hearn <m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com> wrote:
> > The downside is that while OpenSSL is frequently going to not be
> > found
> > as it's the wrong version, GnuTLS is also not widely installed by
> > default so it might not get us much in the short term.

People concerned with getting Wine/SSL running with little
space/bandwidth/CPU consumption will rather install another library
(GnuTLS) than install mozilla just to get SSL support in wine.

> A better solution is to use the Mozilla Network Security Services
> (NSS). NSS is everywhere mozilla is and is much more mature.

I just thought I'd mention that I don't use Mozilla, as it's performance
I find is much too slow on my older system (yet IE over Wine or similar
runs perfectly acceptable speeds, somehow) and a space/resource hog.
I'd rather manually download GnuTLS libraries and use them with wine
than install mozilla, which should be substanscially bigger - maybe 50
mb+?  (I'm guessing here.)

A similar example?  Manually downloading libao2 specially for use with
mplayer.  Why?  For fine-tuned performance with little space cost.

Of course, including support for as many SSL programs/libraries as
possible whilst including fallback coding (note: I'd prefer run-time
detection, so we don't have to make stupid dependencies for wine under
packaging systems such as debian or fedora/rpms... last thing we need is
a new dummy package having wine depend on "wine-ssl-provider" being
filled by something such as mozilla, firefox, openssl-<version> or
GnuTLS...) would be amazing and useful.

Of course, I'm merely complaining here, but that's my two cents.