Running valgrind with Wine

Saulius Krasuckas saulius2 at ar.fi.lt
Sun Sep 5 07:33:30 CDT 2004

On Sat, Sep 04 2004, Mike McCormack wrote:
> Valgrind stopped working with Wine a while back due to the way Wine
> reserves memory above address 0x80000000.
>
> The following patch allows valgrind to work with wine again. You need to
> start wine-pthread or wine-kthread instead of starting the wine binary
> depending on whether your system uses NPTL or not. eg. my system uses
> kthreads so:
>
> valgrind wine-kthread notepad.exe

I am very glad to hear this, Mike.  Thanks.

> I'm not sure if Alexandre wants to commit this or not, but it should be
> of use to those that want to use valgrind again.

Hm, still, for me valgrind doesn't work:

[s2 at katleriai wine]$ valgrind --tool=memcheck wine-pthread notepad.exe
Executable range 0x77f00000-0x77f02370 is outside the
acceptable range (nil)-0x52c00000
valgrind: do_exec(/usr/local/bin/wine-pthread) failed: Cannot allocate memory
[s2 at katleriai wine]$

Ideas?