Installing Platform SDK on Wine

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Sep 8 00:41:02 CDT 2004

After (more or less) installing IE6 on Wine, I tried
installing the Platform SDK.  Looks like their Setup.exe
program invokes IE and some ActiveX control.  And it
looks like I don't know how to install the msi packages
without their setup.exe (maybe someone else knows?).

This was with Wine-20040813, I think.

I'm trying to get a valid windows.h for use with cl out of this.  I may
punt and just use the windows.h that comes with wine -- it
doesn't work off the bat, but maybe it's easier to fix (possibly
by just adding some -D's to the commandline) than the real platform sdk install.
- Dan

p.s. here's how I tried to install the Platform SDK

#!/bin/sh
# Download and install Platform SDK
# See
# http://www.eggheadcafe.com/ng/microsoft.public.vstudio.development/post271668.asp and
# http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/psdk-full.htm

set -ex

# Platform SDK
for file in \
PSDK-FULL.1.cab PSDK-FULL.2.cab PSDK-FULL.3.cab PSDK-FULL.4.cab PSDK-FULL.5.cab PSDK-FULL.6.cab \
PSDK-FULL.7.cab PSDK-FULL.8.cab PSDK-FULL.9.cab PSDK-FULL.10.cab PSDK-FULL.11.cab PSDK-FULL.12.cab \
PSDK-FULL.13.cab ; do
         wget -c http://download.microsoft.com/download/platformsdk/sdk/update/win98mexp/en-us/3790.0/FULL/$file
done

# Extract.  Requires 1.4 GB free space!
# We could download Extract.exe from the above dir, and use wine to run it, but
# may as well use the native command.

cabextract -d ~/.wine/c/psdk *.cab

# Install.  Tries to invoke IE.  Doesn't work for me...
cd ~/.wine/c/psdk
wine Setup.exe

# Directly install part of it.  Doesn't work for me either; just chews CPU?
cd setup
wine msiexec /i CoreSDK-x86.msi

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com