Revised menu patch

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Wed Sep 8 08:36:13 CDT 2004

"Michael Kaufmann" <hallo at michael-kaufmann.ch> wrote:

> How do you define the "real behavior" ?

That's a behaviour of an existing product that could be tested and confirmed.

> The behavior of Windows XP?

Including it as well.

> Have
> you checked that Windows 2003 still passes this test?

No, I don't. For exactly that reason we have http://test.winehq.org
where the results of the current test suite are posted.

> You can't be sure.
> There's no real behavior in this case.

You are mistaken. See above.

> I promise that I'll remember you to reactivate this testcase. If we
> don't modify DestroyMenu NOW, there's also a good chance that this bug
> will never be fixed. Remember, a lot of Delphi applications don't work
> because of this bug which is simple to fix and breaks only one single
> testcase. Is is really more important that WINE passes this test but
> fails on Delphi apps again and again? What will the users of WINE think?

Ask users. But I, as one of the developers, think that there is no any hurry
in fixing any, even very critical bug. The only requirement which should be
fulfilled is the correctness of the fix, nothing else. As Uwe has pointed out
Wine is an open source project, and anyone welcome to work with us to fix
the bugs and improve compatibility with applications. We are working towards
that goal, but we have very constrained resources.

> To fix it properly, we have to move the menu code to WineServer. When
> will this happen? In a year? In two years? Never?

I'll reword your question:
"How much time will it take for an open source project to fix a bug?"

Nobody would tell you, that's a rhetorical question.

> Until then, many
> Delphi apps won't work. For me, this is not acceptable.

For me, it's not acceptable to debate an inclusion of a not acceptable
solution, there were enough explanations why it's not acceptable. You are
welcome to fix it properly though.

Please don't take my words offensively, Wine is a huge project, and it's
very critical to do the right things in the long run. Last time I heared,
Ulrich Czekalla had a preliminary patch which has moved menu handle allocation
to wineserver. I'm not sure in what state the patch is currently.

--
Dmitry.