Revised menu patch

Michael Kaufmann hallo at michael-kaufmann.ch
Wed Sep 8 12:53:05 CDT 2004

Hi Dmitry

>>How do you define the "real behavior" ?
>>

>That's a behaviour of an existing product that could be tested and confirmed.

So is there an existing third-party program that depends on the "real
behavior" ?

>>Have
>>you checked that Windows 2003 still passes this test?
>>

>No, I don't. For exactly that reason we have http://test.winehq.org
>where the results of the current test suite are posted.

I get an "403 Forbidden" for this page.

>Ask users. But I, as one of the developers, think that there is no any hurry
>in fixing any, even very critical bug. The only requirement which should be
>fulfilled is the correctness of the fix, nothing else. As Uwe has pointed out
>Wine is an open source project, and anyone welcome to work with us to fix
>the bugs and improve compatibility with applications. We are working towards
>that goal, but we have very constrained resources.

I have created a testcase that works on Windows 95 - Windows XP. (
http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-devel/2004/09/0260.html )

As WINE can't pass both testcases without moving the menu code to
WineServer, we now have to decide which of the two testcases we want to
break.

>>To fix it properly, we have to move the menu code to WineServer. When
>>will this happen? In a year? In two years? Never?
>>

>I'll reword your question:
>"How much time will it take for an open source project to fix a bug?"
>
>Nobody would tell you, that's a rhetorical question.

That's right: We don't know how long it takes. And that is a part of the
problem.

>>Until then, many
>>Delphi apps won't work. For me, this is not acceptable.
>>

>For me, it's not acceptable to debate an inclusion of a not acceptable
>solution, there were enough explanations why it's not acceptable. You are
>welcome to fix it properly though.

The only explanation was "it breaks the testcase X", where X is a
testcase that doesn't even pass on Windows 9x. I think the patch won't
break any real application.

>Please don't take my words offensively, Wine is a huge project, and it's
>very critical to do the right things in the long run. Last time I heared,
>Ulrich Czekalla had a preliminary patch which has moved menu handle allocation
>to wineserver. I'm not sure in what state the patch is currently.

It's nice that you want that the quality of the WINE code is good. But
sometimes we have to compromise.
Ulrich's patch was already mentioned in 2002, I don't think it will be
ready soon.

Regards

Michael