winecfg (was Re: W->A calls)

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Sat Sep 11 10:34:15 CDT 2004

Joris Huizer wrote:

> Fine by me ;) where do I start then.. I can't find much on the winehq
> site about that (I found a http://sourceforge.net/projects/winecfg/ but
> it seems the last update was over a year ago..)
> What's there to do, how to... etc - kind find much documentation except
> for the fact it's mentioned as a Todo thing :-/

It appears that Mike has been doing a lot of work on this.
http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-devel/2004/09/0221.html
So you probably first want to coordinate with him.

I would start by running "winecfg", and seeing what doesn't work, which
is a lot. For example, on the very first tab, you can select a "Windows
Version", but changing the setting doesn't actually change anything (it
should make/alter a registry entry). The winecfg code is in
wine/programs/winecfg.

A long discussion of things that are needed is in the thread starting:
http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-devel/2004/08/0007.html

In fact, you probably want to go to:
http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-devel/2004/08/index.html
http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-devel/2004/09/index.html
And then search for all subjects containing winecfg.

By the way, I really do like the look mentioned here:
http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-devel/2004/09/0220.html
It is much improved over the current look. Hopefully that will become
part of winecfg.