Why is our OutputDebugString a server request?

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Mon Sep 13 10:31:50 CDT 2004

Hi all,

It seems that OutputDebugString is defined in the Win32 API as a set of
client side operations. In wine, however, it is a server request.

I have not traced it into the server to see whether they carry out the
same operations or not. However, even if they do, I am wondering why we
need them? Wouldn't it be better to not do server side things that can
be done client side?

(http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/outputdebugstring.html)

Shachar

P.S.
I perfectly understand that obtaining mutexes and waiting on events is a
server side operation. However, it was my impression that such things
are best carried out by mimicking the Win32 structure as much as
possible. Isn't that the case?

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh