Wine and industrial communication like OPC

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com
Tue Sep 14 04:55:47 CDT 2004

> I found the DCom update for Win 98 (Se: http://www.microsoft.com/com/dcom/dcom98/download.asp?SD=GN&LN=SV&gssnb=1)
> The licens is bad: (Se: http://www.microsoft.com/com/dcom/dcom98/eula.asp)
> --- --- --- ---
> 1. GRANT OF LICENSE. This EULA grants you the following rights:
>
>     * Software License. Microsoft grants you the right to make and use as many copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT as you have validly licensed copies of Microsoft® Windows® 98. You may also make copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT for backup and archival purposes.
>
>     * Distribution. You may not redistribute DCOM98.
>
> --- --- --- ---

Yes, it's not good. I'm not sure about the distribution clause:
presumably it's talking about the package itself rather than the
software but obviously IANAL.

> But I have to convince my boss...
> How meny ours do you think it wood take to get DCom to work in Wine?
> 50 h / 100h / 500h / 1000h ?

Good question. I'm afraid I have no idea, it's impossible to predict.

I've CCd Rob as really me and Rob are the only ones who have been
hacking on the DCOM code lately. Mike has been doing some work on widl
but that wouldn't be necessary to get a wire-compatible DCOM.

If I had to guess, I'd say we're looking at 500 man hours +

> I'm the one who is mostly for Linux here, as I mentioned XP ersion is on the way, we have used QT to make or application. So it is
easy to migrate and there is a definite risk that all will go towards a
XP embedded variant :(

That would be bad, but you win some you lose some ....

thanks -mike