Directx9

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer at free.fr
Tue Sep 14 11:32:52 CDT 2004

> To be honest, Wine isn't going to be very useful and adopted until
> there is something that a user can install and know that if I have to update
> to a current verson and I pick the stable version that my apps that are
> running will continue to run.

Well, you perfectly summed up the 'tragedy' of Wine: nobody ever knows what
YOUR applications are... There are so many Win32 applications that Wine
might run one day and so many Win32 APIs and interactions between them that
we cannot (and never will) guarantee that YOUR applications run from one
release to the other. Heck, even Microsoft cannot do it between major
Windows releases :-)

The way to solve this (as CW and TG did) is to have a 'gold / silver' list
of applications and have a 'won't break' guarantee only on those.

Or to enlist all users as regression testers (without any guarantee though
that the bug would be fixed). And this is pretty much the current state of
Wine :-)

     Lionel (who likes the 'WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY' clause in the GPL :-) )

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/