Directx9

brettholcomb at charter.net brettholcomb at charter.net
Tue Sep 14 13:47:11 CDT 2004

You're right - even MS can't do it - witness SP 2 for XP <G>.  The important apps are core apps - Office, IE, etc., some of the more important apps like the big name games - Half Life <G>.  However, it would be nice to know that if I'm running stable release xyz and I upgrade to stable xyz + 1 the apps it would run will still run or at least the chance of breakage is much much less than now. Right now if I run a release, then move to the next many things break.  Things will always break to some extent but it seems to have gotten worse lately.  I guess what really bothered me is the comment about breaking things and users would just have to live with it until it got fixed whenever.  As I said, my objective is to move as much as I can off Windows and I have run wine-cvs and submitted some bugs and data to help debug the regression and I understand wine isn't ready for real use yet.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do a lot of that so I've essentially dropped Wine and f!
 igure I'll either wait until someday I can have a release that doesn't break too much between updates or stay with Windows.  This is probably what many others have done, too.

Don't get me wrong - the Wine team has a very difficult task and has done very well and been responsive but the let 'em use it broke or eat cake approach is not so good.

It would help to have a list like you suggest.  That would at least let me know that if I have app z which is not on the list and want to run it then it's my problem if the next release breaks.