MSCMS: new dll

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Mon Sep 20 10:08:57 CDT 2004

The idea is very very good, but I have a couple of comments:

Francois Gouget wrote:

>+echo
>+echo "Notes:"

Why not use the autoconf macro specific for this purpose? I think it's
called "AC_WARN" or something.

>+  echo "*** Alsa not detected. The winealsa.drv.so driver will be a dummy."
>
>+  echo "*** NAS not detected. The winenas.drv.so driver will be a dummy."

I think a more user oriented description is in order here. This is too
alarming, and the list will be flooded by newbies asking whether it's
possible to run wine without them.

Instead, use a terminology according to the line of "Wine will not be
able to produce sound using the Alsa driver".

>+if test -z "$ICULIBS"

I do believe this is the wrong test. If we must do it here, test for
"HAVE_ICU".

>+  echo "*** ICU not detected. Building without bidi support."

Again, gotta avoid Jargon. Let's face it, 99% of Wine users don't care
about this one. Instead, write:

"Building wine without BiDirectional languages (Hebrew, Arabic) support"

This will greatly reduce the number of users alarmed by this configure
message.

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh