RFC: more Windows-NT like user directories?

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com
Mon Sep 20 10:33:33 CDT 2004

> When I run wineprefixcreate I only get two drives, c:
> and z: (which maps to /).  Should there be a $HOME
> drive mapping, and should I point the "my documents"
> directory to that instead?

Yes, I think that'd be a good idea.

In theory My Documents can be controlled by the registry. In practice I
think quite a few apps hard code it. So maybe we could make My Documents
a symlink to Y: or whatever we use as the home drive.

Currently symlinks are disabled by default in case of loops. I think we
could have some smarter logic to detect that case though, then we could
make sure every app which used My Documents was really looking at the
UNIX home directory.

wineprefixcreate needs a fair bit of love actually. Right now its drive
detection code is rather poor, and there are various packager-specific
patches floating around to improve it. These should be moved upstream.