raw parallel port access

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Sep 22 02:49:30 CDT 2004

    BRC> After quite a few days of perusing wine doc/source/config/mailing
    BRC> lists, I have found very scant references to accessing the raw
    BRC> parallel ports using wine.

How does your windows program try to access the port?

Probably by callig DeviceIOControl() on some unknown VXD. As has been told
several times in the last days, wine is for running windows user programs,
not for running windows kernel drivers. If you know what the VXD does and
what interfaces it exposes, you can try to recreate/reimplement that VXD
with Linux.

If your program is an old Win31 program, accessing the port directly, wine
captures these accesses and either translates them in an hopefully
acceptable way.

Bye
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de