Wine User Guide changes (RFC)

Brian Vincent brian.vincent at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 17:38:40 CDT 2004

With Mike's recent Winecfg patches and the renewed hope we'll cut over
to using Winecfg some day, I went through and began updating the Wine User
Guide.  The focus of the changes thus far was to remove references to the
config file and discuss Winecfg instead.  Without actually being able to
use Winecfg these changes are useless, but it's probably worth looking
this over to see whether these docs are headed in the right direction.
For now, the biggest changes can be found in configuring.sgml  (which
translates into the "Configuring Wine" part of the guide.)  A diff is
available here:

 http://www.theshell.com/~vinn/wine-user-guide.diff

However, this stuff is best looked at as a side-by-side comparison with
the existing docs.  You can find that here:

 http://www.theshell.com/~vinn/wine-user-guide.html

(Not having looked at Mike's recent patches, I'm sure this will soon be out
of date.  Things like drive detection are missing.  There's also parts that
I left undone: such as the printing config, an appendix listing reg keys would
be nice once we know what they all are.  Other parts probably need a
better explanation, such as font configuration.  Anything you notice missing
is probably worth telling me about, though it won't be hard to find lots of
mistakes.)

One of the big goals of all this is to reduce the amount of documentation
and outdated stuff.  Therefore, registry.sgml, printing.sgml, and fonts.sgml
have been somewhat merged into configuring.sgml.  fonts.sgml contained a
lot of outdated info in it that probably caused more confusion than helped.

Going forward, we have a lot of documentation in the User Guide about
downloading Wine, compiling Wine, CVS, etc; mostly stuff that's already
duplicated in some form or another on the web site.  I'd like to see as
much stuff like that removed from the User Guide as possible, we can
simply refer people to WineHQ for more info.  (I think the reason for the
duplication is that the website docs simply didn't exist when the User
Guide was written, now the website has superceded the User Guide.)
When it's all said and done we should be left with the following sections:
 - Introduction
 - Configuration
 - Running
 - Troubleshooting

At least, that's the direction I think it should go and at some point
I could begin making those changes.  Anyone disagree?  Any thoughts,
comments, concerns, criticisms?

-Brian