Getting winebuild to work on HP-UX

Warren_Baird/CSI at cimmetry.com Warren_Baird/CSI at cimmetry.com
Mon Sep 27 10:39:38 CDT 2004

"Eric Frias" <efrias at syncad.com> wrote on 09/27/2004 09:52:12 AM:

> I don't know if this made it through on Thursday; if not, here's a
repeat:

I saw it on the archive - sorry I didn't get a chance to respond on
Friday.   Thanks for the repeat, though - it saves me cutting and pasting
from the browser. :-)

> I'm afraid I won't be a lot of help right now, but I might be able to
offer
> some moral support.

Well - at this point even moral support would be a good thing...

>  I've spent several weeks last year trying to get
> winelib working on HPUX, but I don't really have anything to show for
it.
> Before I could get anything working, I had to abandon HPUX and work on
> fixing up Linux and Solaris stuff because it was in higher demand.  I'll
> eventually need to get HPUX working also, but I won't be able to devote
too
> much time to it for at least a month.

My timeline is probably tighter than that - I'm hoping to have winelib
working within the next month...   So you might be lucky.  :-)

> I was in the same situation as you are... very rusty at x86 assembly,
able
> to comprehend a little sparc assembly, but I didn't know a thing about
> pa-risc.  I was simply typing make, letting it run until it had some
error
> because HPUX wasn't supported, coming up with some fix for it, and
> repeating.  Some days I felt like I almost grasped what was going on and
how
> to fix it, and some days it felt like it was miles away.  I never got
all of
> wine compiling, so I have no idea if any of the fixes I made were
correct or
> not.  I'd be happy to share them with you, but seeing them might do you
more
> harm than good.

Yeah, if you wouldn't mind, send me the patches ---  It may give me some
useful ideas, at least.

> Anyway, good luck, and if you weren't looking for an excuse to learn
pa-risc
> assembly, well, you have my sympathies.  I'm told it builds character
:-)

:-)  then I guess my character is in for a bit of a work-out.  <sigh>

Thanks,

Warren

Warren Baird, Technical Group Leader       warren_baird at cimmetry.com
Cimmetry System Inc.                       514 735 3219 x148