Upgrade management

Boaz Harrosh boaz at hishome.net
Tue Sep 28 09:46:47 CDT 2004

Mike Hearn wrote:

> There is evidence that users don't see or ignore such warnings :(
>
> If you aren't confident that an upgrade won't break stuff you can
> always manually back up the wineprefix before running the new version,
> I don't think we need to do anything ourselves. Most users won't be
> administering production environments, and for them automatic upgrades
> would be helpful.

I don't know, better safe than sorry. You are touching users Data here.
they should have an informed choice. A message box, something? maybe
refuse to run, than he will notice.
So a first time newbie installs wine and is very happy with it. After
1/2 a year he feels more confident and the new release fixes a game he
likes or something, He tries it out and his old setup is broken. Than
what he think off wine? Unless we state it in bold letters in every
possible documentation (and have a cancel flag like --noupgrade) than
you must confirm with the user.

> thanks -mike

Thanks -Boaz