Upgrade management

Ben A L Jemmett ben.jemmett at ukonline.co.uk
Tue Sep 28 12:48:07 CDT 2004

> I'm not sure we should design this system on the assumption that we suck
> and will probably blow things up. I don't know of any other programs
> that use such a mechanism when upgrading!

Well, Service Packs on Windows have the option (on by default) to back up all
changed files just in case Microsoft suck and blow things up; a Wine upgrade
could be considered roughly equivalent to installing a SP if the gap between
versions is big enough.

Perhaps backing up the old wineprefix and telling the user that it's been
upgraded would be a good idea.  Will the wineprefix be upgraded with every new
Wine release, or just when something actually has to be changed?

--
Regards,
Ben A L Jemmett.