Nearly all Installshield installers fail

Robert Shearman rob at codeweavers.com
Fri Apr 1 21:47:36 CST 2005

Joaquín Fernández wrote:

> > With my application (Route 66), it enables me to start copying files,
> > however the progress bar never moves. However, the installer is doing
> > something but seems to be stuck somewhere. Maybe some deadlocks.
>
> I have had many problems with InstallShield but i was able to install
> the programs (about 3 or 4 programs using InstallShield that i need)
> using WINEDLLOVERRIDES="ole32,oleaut32,rpcrt4=n,b". You can probe with
> this.. it worked for this programs in Wine 2004XXXX and 2005XXXX.
> Obviously, you must verify that this DLLs exist in the system dir.

This is not a good long-term solution since it requires a download from
Microsoft. There are a number of issues with InstallShield currently. I
had hoped that getting one working would get all working, but this
doesn't seem to be the case from the current discussion on wine-devel. I
am aware of 3 issues with ole32, 2 deadlocks and one error. The
remaining issues appear to be with the typelib marshaler, which
unfortunately lacks regression tests.

Rob